Primary Objective: Assists the Store Manager in the operation of a profitable, safe, and clean retail drugstore. The Assistant Manager will enforce company policy/procedures, protect company assets at all times, and insure that each Bartell Drug Company associate in their store shows excellent customer service. In the absence of the Store Manager the Assistant will have full authority to supervise all facets of store operations. This individual has the authority after consulting with Human Resources to make suggestions and recommendations regarding the hiring and firing of employees. The Assistant Store Manager will make discretionary decisions that affect the general operation of their store and is responsible for maintaining positive employee and customer relations at all times.
Reports to: Store Manager
Major Responsibilities and Duties Which May Be Considered Essential:
- Must properly execute refunds and exchanges in a positive and timely manner in order that good customer service levels are maintained. Insure customers are acknowledged and assisted with their needs quickly and courteously.
- Must assist the Store Manager in maintaining balanced inventory levels of clean, salable goods. Must be familiar with current ad products, prices and locations at all times to assist customers in locating the merchandise.
- Must provide product and service information as needed.
- Must set a professional example by enforcing policies such as attendance, proper dress and grooming code, customer service, proper cash handling, consistent documentation of employee’s performance and maintain reasonable control of expense items.
- Must assist the Store Manager in creating and maintaining good morale through an Open Door Policy, constant two-way communication, cooperation, proper delegation, and effective on-going training of all store personnel. The Assistant has the authority to direct the work of all employees except for the technical aspects relating to the practice of Pharmacy.
- Must be willing to deal with issues in a tactful, courteous and reasonable manner.
- Must check work schedule daily to insure proper coverage and to assign daily job duties.
- Must cooperate with and support employees in the implementation of their daily job duties.
- Must compute totals on payroll sheets accurately and in a timely manner to insure that the sheets are received in the corporate office when due.
- Must properly institute the standards set forth in the Bartell Merchandising Guide to successfully attain budgeted profitability.
- Must maintain a timely response to ad counts when requested and ordering of warehouse merchandise. Must be able to communicate well with outside vendors to insure proper stock levels, and merchandise mix.
- Must insure daily cash deposits, petty cash funds, Metro, stamps, and each registers cash flow are securely handled. Insure that cash drops are performed in a timely manner during the course of the day.
- Must assist in doing the daily store reports when necessary.
- Must on occasion, as needed operate a cash register to itemize and total customers’ purchases. Record prices and total sales transactions. Accurately collect cash, checks or charge payments from customers. Correctly count change and account for all money in the cash drawer. Properly complete forms and paperwork.
- Must properly set store alarm and secure store at the close of the day when require
- Must be courteous and maintain professional interpersonal communication skills with customers, store staff and supervisors.
- Must handle refunds/exchanges effectively and timely.